So, when you read books about possible jobs for an MBA, most of them say marketing is one of the least competitive. What the fail to tell you is that when you go to one of the top marketing schools in the country, it becomes a little more competitive. I seriously think that the marketing recruiting process is more competitive than the I-banking or consulting ones, and that should not happen. And I have realized I am just not cutthroat enough to do it. Now don't get me wrong, I have a competitive streak in me (ask anyone who has played board games or poker with me), but I just hate backstabbing, and that is what a lot of this whole recruiting thing is. I also hate playing the stupid games that we need to play to get a job. You go to a company presentation, make sure to put your name on a list, then at the end stand in a circle around the recruiter and compete with your fellow students to get a word in edgewise. So not my thing. I will be so happy in a month and a half when it is all done.
So far out of the 15 resumes I dropped, i am on 2 waitlists. I have three dinner offers with companies in round B, so hopefully i will get on more interview lists. I told myself I wouldn't let the recruiting season get to me but it is hard. I am just happy most of my friends aren't going out for marketing so it is so great that i have someone to talk to who I am not competing with.
This weekend so far has been nice. After a long Thursday night (I learned the important lesson that wine and liquor to not mix), I took last night easy. Tonight I am making dinner at a friend's place, some things never change, then going out to celebrate another friend's birthday. Then I also get to work really hard on more resume/cover letters and start reading for the classes I am already behind on. Although my classes so far are mostly interesting (except for factory physics 2) so I am looking forward to the quarter.
The dance studio here doesn't open up until Monday and I have been anxious to start those classes. I haven't done a dance class for over a month and I really miss it, i can't wait to get back into things.
Alright, now I am just stalling on doing all the things i need to do . No more random thoughts, time to work. I will be in Minneapolis next weekend, should be fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment